Wyckoff is the oldest dorm, having stood since 1959.
When it opened around 1970, Harper’s goal was to shorten hall length and make the atmosphere seem less institutionalized. It was the first dorm to create a “four wing style” in Bradley dorms. It originally included two dining rooms, and Scout archives pride the building on having washing machines on every floor.
The 10-story residence hall opened in 1971, as the first co-ed hall, with Williams becoming co-ed the same year. It is 100-feet high, which was the limit allowed for new construction in Peoria at that time. Since dorms were not full when Geisert opened, some rules were changed in regards to who could move off campus. Within a few years, more students were living in residence halls.
Heitz Hall was erected 1962, housing 250 female students, a dining room and the Health Center. The Health Center was there until it moved to the Markin Family Student Recreation Center in 2008.
The all-freshmen hall was completed in 1964, but originally only housed men. It then switched to housing all women in 1971, as female dorms required a security guard and putting more females in one building required one less employee. U-Hall was the most expensive building on campus at the time of its completion, with students commenting “how sweet it is” and that it was “futuristic.”
Williams Hall opened in September 1966, as a residence hall that housed 385 females, the largest on campus to date. It also contained two dining rooms.