Press "Enter" to skip to content

No spring concert for BU

The Activities Council announced it won’t host a spring concert this year.
“There were really no bands touring that ACBU wanted,” Director of Student Activities Michelle Whited said. “We wanted to save the money [students spent this semester] and put more money into next semester.”
Jade Peters, a co-coordinator for special events on campus, said she didn’t think the options for a concert that were provided would be a concert students would appreciate.
“We’re allotted a certain amount of money each year and we no longer have a field house to put it in,” she said. “We’d have to pay for the Civic Center in addition and allot an extra $25,000 or so for that. The options weren’t that big and we’d rather bring someone bigger next semester.”
Peters said the Special Events Reserve Fund found what type of music students were interested in by randomly asking students what type of bands they liked.
Whited said ACBU was looking for big-name bands and comedians for the fall.
She also said in addition to receiving the rollover fee from the spring, the fall concert’s budget will grow from an increased student activity fee.
The fee, which was $35 per semester this year will be raised to $65 per semester starting next fall, Whited said.
Sophomore public relations major Stephanie Feldbein said she doesn’t understand the need for the increase.
“I think if the money for spring semester will contribute to a fall concert they shouldn’t raise our fee by practically double,” she said.
Peters said the more money collected, the more activities there will be.
Peters said the rise of the activity fee was a campus-wide organization decision to benefit Bradley as a whole and ACBU only gets a portion of the funds.
Whited said only part of the fee goes toward big-name bands.
“I’d say about 25 percent is put toward big bands and the other 75 percent goes toward smaller acts,” she said.
Peters said there is plenty of opportunity for students to see smaller comedians, musicians and lecturers. Throughout the semester around campus that are all free of charge.
Peters also said a dilemma ACBU faces is students that graduate and those who study abroad.
“There will always be students studying abroad each semester and we outweighed the costs of wasting the students’ money this year on a concert they wouldn’t appreciate, or saving the money for something better the following semester,” she said. “We are confident that fall 2009 will be a great semester for the students looking forward to a big concert or possibly a comedian.”
Feldbein said she is one of those students studying abroad fall semester.
“I don’t think it’s fair to make a huge event next semester because I won’t be able to take advantage of what I’m paying for,” she said. “So I don’t think I should have to pay for it two semesters in a row.”
Whited said the lack of a spring concert was in the nature of the concert business.
“Bands are gearing up for summer tours right now,” she said. “It’s the nature of the beast and we’re doing the best we can.”
Copyright © 2023, The Scout, Bradley University. All rights reserved.
The Scout is published by members of the student body of Bradley University. Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the University.