Press "Enter" to skip to content

Students show talent in Bradley Idol

Hosted in the Renaissance Coliseum on April 20 beginning at 5 p.m., Bradley Idol seeks to unify students and begin a new tradition.

ACBU coordinators Megan DeSmet and Skylar Mitchell have been planning Bradley Idol for months.

“Bradley doesn’t have many traditions beyond Lighting of the B. We wanted to make a new tradition,” DeSmet, a junior nursing major, said.

In addition to starting a new tradition that will hopefully catch on, it also offers students a chance to showcase their abilities.

“I’m excited for the atmosphere and to see people show their hidden talents to the campus community,” Mitchell, a freshman nursing major, said.

Forty students brought their voices to auditions in the Student Center Ballroom on Wednesday. Some students cradled instruments, others entered the audition room alone. Contestants were friendly, chatting amongst themselves as they prepared their songs.

Kerri Predovich, a junior psychology major, said Bradley Idol is bringing students together.

“[Bradley Idol] gets people from all different groups involved,” Predovich said.

Troi Roberts, a junior television arts major, said she is happy Bradley is offering an outlet for musically-gifted students.

“I know that many colleges have campus-wide talent shows, and Bradley doesn’t, so it’s nice that we finally have something similar,” Roberts said. “It’s nice to give this opportunity to people who aren’t necessarily in a musical, talent-based major.”

Only ten contestants will advance to the final show – one from each residence hall grouping, two from off-campus housing and three “wild cards.”

The winner of Bradley Idol will receive a $250 grand prize.

Pierre Paul, a junior political science major, seemed optimistic about Bradley Idol’s potential.

“I think [Bradley Idol] could easily become a tradition,” Paul said. “There should be a good turnout because everyone who makes it to the live show has friends or organizations behind them who will hopefully come out to support.”

Dan Henig, a YouTube personality with over 100,000 subscribers and most known for his cover of “Get Low” with 10+ million views, will be emceeing Bradley Idol.

Bradley Idol’s panel of judges consists of Christopher Marsh, an instructor of communication, BUPD Lieutanant Sean Savage and Cory Craig, assistant director of Admissions. Judges’ opinions will count for 40 percent of the vote, and the other 60 percent of the vote will be decided by those in attendance.

Sierra Doss, a junior television arts and Spanish double major, said she left her audition excited for Bradley Idol regardless of audition results.

“Even if I’m not a contestant, I’m still going to go to Bradley Idol,” Doss said. “It’s not something super political or intense or something you have to pay to get into; it’s just fun.”

Copyright © 2019 The Scout, Bradley University. All rights reserved.
The Scout is published by members of the student body of Bradley University. Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the University.