‘Tis the season to hit the theaters! This Winter Break, why go outside and freeze to death when you can cozy up around a hot fireplace and watch a movie? Or better yet, make the trip to your local theater and check out some of the new films set to come out over the holidays. Either way, winter is the perfect time for the movie lover in all of us, so here is your own personal guide to movies that can help you survive the winter months ahead.
Old Films In New Wrapping
1. Harry Potter Wizard’s Collection- This is the ultimate box set for that special witch or wizard in your life. For the low price of $350, you can own a collection of 31 discs that includes all eight “Harry Potter” films and a castle full of special features and authentic movie props.
2. Bond 50: The Complete 22 Film Collection- If you prefer your British heroes to be spies rather than wizards, this is definitely the collection for you. All 22 Bond films, from “Dr. No” to “Quantum of Solace,” are all here in one set. It even has a slot for the eventual release of “Skyfall,” so when it comes you can truly appreciate the epic 50 year canon of the James Bond series.
3. The Dark Knight Trilogy- Along with next week’s release of “The Dark Knight Rises,” Warner Brothers is giving all the Bat-fans what they wished for with this box set, which includes the entire Chris Nolan “Batman” trilogy along with a booklet of concept art from all three films.
4. Tarantino XX 8 Film Collection- Any Quentin Tarantino fans out there? All of the director’s famous works are here, from “Pulp Fiction” and “Reservoir Dogs” to “Kill Bill” and “Inglorious Basterds.” Catch up on Tarantino’s filmography before his new film, “Django Unchained” hits in December.
5. E.T. Anniversary Edition/Titanic Limited 3D Edition- Two cinematic classics come to Blu-Ray with “E.T.” and “Titanic.” Spielberg’s beloved sci-fi classic is now available in the highest definition possible with loads of special features, while “Titanic” now comes in a four-disc set complete with the 3D version.
New Films Worth Seeing
1. Django Unchained- Quentin Tarantino is directing a western starring Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz and Leo DiCaprio. There is nothing more to say.
2. Les Miserables- An ensemble cast of Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe and Anne Hathaway lead this heavily hyped adaptation of the beloved musical about a Frenchman on the run from the law.
3. Zero Dark Thirty- From the director of “The Hurt Locker,” this film chronicles the manhunt for Osama bin Laden.
4. Jack Reacher- Based on the popular novels, “Reacher” follows the titular character, played by Tom Cruise, as he tries to prove the innocence of an ex-military sniper convicted of killing several people.
5. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey- What else is there to say besides it’s the prequel to “Lord of the Rings”? Any return to Middle-Earth is welcome.