There are roughly one million fall trends this season (trust me, I’ve been keeping track) and separating the winning pieces from the straight-to-sale rack items isn’t always an easy task. What new purchases will really last you your whole life…or, at least, the next three years? Which fashions are actually worth investing in? What pieces will make you look like a tuned-in fashionista, and which will make you look out of touch?
To help a girl out, I’ve edited it all down…and then edited some more, distilling it down to just six gems I think are worthy of your hard-earned cash right now. Whether you’ve already got your basic fall wardrobe down to a T and are looking to spruce it up with a few, inexpensive pieces or you’re starting from scratch and want to know which items to save up for, I’ve got the vital fashion field guide to create your cool-weather wardrobe.
1. The Graphic Pullover– Knits are always a fall must-have, but this time around, I have my eyes set on an edgier version of the classic pullover. Pair fall’s graphic essential with anything from printed pants to a miniskirt for a look that’ll make a statement but is still wearable to class.
2. The Quirky Sneaker — Admit it: Sneakers have come a long way, even if you’re not the casual type (trust me, I am not). And this fall, you don’t have to swap good style for a great, comfy pair given all the playful options out there.
3. The Silk Trousers — There’s something fierce about fall’s silk trousers, which is why I’ve added them to the list. You need these for a few reasons — mainly because they’re sexy, strong and super stylish.
4. The Oxblood Jean — This fall’s oxblood jean is just the denim remedy I’ve been craving. A little punk mixed with a little polish, this essential pant can update your look immediately, and it won’t break the bank, either.
5. The Nubby Cardigan — Fall’s return to major texture has me craving knits and jackets with a bit more edge than the basics. So, make sure you add fall’s nubby cardigan to your list as an easy layering piece you’ll wear constantly — I already am!
6. The Oversized Clutch — Sure, an oversized clutch might force you to get rid of all those excessive purse items, but do you really need three packs of gum and five lip glosses? These oversized clutches work as chic day packs to and from class or as a surprising statement bag for night— just make sure you don’t leave it behind at the bar.
So put away the short shorts and flip-flops, ladies. Fall is right around the corner. And with these six key items, you can be ready for it. What item are you looking most forwad to rocking?