This week, Kappa Delta finished out the shamrock month of March with its very own Shamrock Week – sorority edition.
The Kappa Delta sorority worked to raise money this past week for its philanthropic beneficiary, Prevent Child Abuse America (PCAA). The sorority hosted different events on Bradley’s campus, including the Penny Wars competition outside of Bradley Hall as well as a Pinwheel cookie sale in the Markin Recreation Center throughout the week.
On Wednesday, the Kappa Delta ladies treated students to pretzels on the quad and Rice Krispies during late night Cullom-Davis Library studying.
On Thursday evening, the sorority members challenged teams of five or more to participate in a trivia competition.
The week’s events lead up to the sorority’s big event April 5: the Shamrock Stride 5K and an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast after the finish line.
Junior and Kappa Delta 5K chair Stephanie Shyken said she welcomes the Bradley community to join in on the fun.
“Anyone can participate in the event,” Shyken said. “You can come and run, walk, eat or play trivia and all the proceeds go to great causes. I just love that it stays local.”
Senior education major Emily Turk said she shared her enthusiasm upon signing up for Thursday’s trivia night.
“I [was] really looking forward to the trivia night since it’s an event I haven’t seen on campus before,” she said. “I [was] excited to compete with other groups on campus to help raise money for a good cause in a fun way.”
PCAA and the Children’s Home of Peoria have goals to build awareness, provide education and offer support for people affected by abuse or neglect.
Kappa Delta women said the sorority donates 80 percent of their earnings to the Children’s Home and the remaining 20 percent to PCAA.
Registration for the KD Shamrock Stride 5K is at the Markin Recreation Center at 8 a.m. Saturday. The race begins at 9 a.m. and finishes at the Williams Hall cafeteria.
The pancake breakfast will take place in Williams Hall cafeteria following the 5K.
For more information, visit Kappa Delta’s Facebook page or contact Shyken at firstname.lastname@example.org.